Change Lives

Change Lives

Saturday 8 March 2014

A Date That I Can Never Forget.....

Yesterday was a day that I don't know whether I try to forget or remember. Good memories or sad ones, the 7th March is always in my mind.

On the 7th in 1999 I met a young shaggy German Shepherd who changed my life forever. I called him Shak. There are other days that I will tell his stories, you have probably heard them all before anyway, but I never forget how important the visit to the local pound was that day all the years ago. The way my life would change, and the hundreds of dogs lives that would be saved because of it.

Shak Wylie. The little man whose loss made me start all this.
It's almost ironic I guess that as well as finding a best friend on the 7th of March, I also lost one two years ago too. I think everyone will remember Dudley, and certainly anyone whoever met him will remember the courage, bravery and determination he showed as he battled against CDRM, Arthritis and other illnesses. That dog taught me so much, showed me so much love through a difficult personal time, and proved that despite everything that was against him he was still entitled to a life, not discarded in a field in the middle of nowhere like rubbish like he was before he came here.


Both of these dogs meant so much to me, and still do. I think about them and draw motivation and hope from them every single day. But above all, I miss them.