Change Lives

Change Lives

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Run Free Spirit, Like In Your Dreams.....

Today is one of those days that you wish never came about. I had to say goodbye to a really special dog, who over the last 9 days has changed my life.

X Rays showed Spirit to have a huge bone tumour on his hind leg, that had spread up to his lungs. Nothing the vets could do or prescribe could ease his pain, his leg was simply disintegrating and now that cancer had hit his lungs, he was fighting a losing battle. We will never know how long my brave boy had been fighting, but I do know he was a wonderful dog, the true family pet, and over the last 9 days it has been an honour to have him in my home.


It was on the vets advice that I had to say goodbye to a dog I felt I had known all his life. I've been crying most of the afternoon, but this really isn't a sad ending. I'm proud SHAK was around to give this boy this chance, I'm proud he went from nothing to a home despite being so ill, and I'm so proud to of had the chance to call him mine. From the fate that faced him ten days ago, then that is a happy ending.

I watched him again as he slept last night, and in his dreams he was running..... fast. I'll never know what he was chasing, but I do know he looked happy.

So run free big man, I miss you already, and you leave behind not only a Dad that loves you, a Mam that was falling too, but a little girl and two other dogs that adored their new brother. We will never forget you x